The fall term was a busy one for the Athletics program. It was great to have Athletics back although things looked a little different than years past. We had some outstanding finishes by all our teams as well as a few City Championships. See below for updates for all our fall term sports. To stay up to date on all your Ashbury sporting details, please follow Ashbury Athletics on Twitter and Instagram.
Jon Landon, Athletic Director
Fall Sports Team Review
Senior Girls Basketball (Tier 1 City Champions)
- It was great to have the Senior Girls Basketball team back on the court to defend their City Championship from 2019. The team had an undefeated season which was capped off by a City Championship win on home court. You can find the livestream of the championship game here.
Junior Girls Basketball (First Round Playoffs)
- The Junior Girls showed very well this year with a solid 3 and 3 record in the competitive Junior Girls Tier 1 league. The team fought hard in their playoff game but unfortunately fell short to a very talented team and eventual champions from Earl of March. The future of the girls basketball team is very bright.
Senior Boys Soccer (OFSAA Tier City Finalists)
- The Senior Boys soccer team had a fantastic year making it all the way to the finals in the OFSAA division. The highlight of the year was their overtime win in the semi-final game against Franco-Cite.
Junior Boys Soccer
- The Junior Boys team battled hard in a very competitive Junior Boys soccer league. Unfortunately, their record left them 1 place from a playoff spot. The future of soccer looks bright at Ashbury.
Senior Boys Football (Semi-Finalists)
- The Senior Boys football team had a very successful year making it to a semi-final game against the league champions St. Marks. The season was highlighted with the excellent play of a dynamic offence lead and the future looks bright as all but 2 starters will be returning on the defensive side of the ball.. The team is looking forward to continued success next year.
Junior Boys Football (Undefeated)
- The Junior boys team continued the great tradition of junior football at Ashbury. They were highlighted by an athletic and dynamic group of players who are mostly new to the sport. The team played in exhibition games versus Franco-Cite and Low. They finished the season undefeated. The development of these student athletes will lead to continued success of the football program in the future.
Varsity Girls Field Hockey
- Despite their record the Girls field hockey team improved tremendously throughout their season. They showed tremendous development throughout the season and the great tradition of field hockey at Ashbury looks strong for years to come.
Senior Boys Volleyball
- The Senior Boys volleyball team saw a resurgence this year narrowly missing the playoffs. The team, mostly new to the game, improved tremendously throughout the season. The passion and dedication of the coaches reflected in the enjoyment the players had.
Tennis Team (Multiple City Champions)
- The always strong Ashbury tennis team had another excellent season. The season was capped off by Ashbury’s Alex Zhang beating Ashbury’s Josh Zhang in the City Championship and the City Doubles Championship went to Gavin Maule and Rui Jin. The future looks bright with this very young and dynamic team.
Golf Team (Boys High School Champion)
- The always strong Ashbury Golf team showed well again this year. Esha Mital finished second and Jaiden Mital finished first in the High School division. Coach Ross Holman is excited about the future of the program and the many talented young athletes on the team.
Cross Country Running
- It was yet another strong year for the cross country running team. Many personal bests were achieved and all athletes participated hard at the National Capital race. Unfortunately, the NCSSAA decided not to send athletes to OFSAA but there are many dynamic young athletes looking to represent Ashbury at OFSAA in years to come.