As you are aware, when driving to and from the school, the neighbourhood surrounding Ashbury College can be complex to navigate, with one-way streets, high hedge lines, blind corners, and a lack of sidewalks. The winter months present further traffic challenges due to high snowbanks, narrow roadways and extended braking distances.
We ask parents who drop off students to please drive with caution and vigilance. At this time of the year, snow and ice affect stopping distances and the ability to brake properly. Posted speed limits are for ideal driving conditions – please slow down and drive safely in the neighbourhood. Additionally, we ask drivers to be respectful of our neighbours’ properties when parking. Park only where legally permitted to do so, and do not block or park on private properties surrounding the school.
Drop-off and pick-up procedures
We ask that all families remain attentive to our drop-off and pick-up procedures, particularly with the winter road and parking conditions, and general safety in mind. We ask that vehicular traffic in the neighbourhood is reduced and that students walk or use public transportation where possible. Ashbury College has two drop-off and pick-up locations: the front loop off of Mariposa Avenue and the side loop off of Glenwood Avenue. When dropping off or picking up, please adhere to the following:
- Do not stop on Mariposa or Glenwood Avenues as these are City of Ottawa no-stopping zones.
- Drop a block and walk a block: consider dropping students off a block or two away from the school.
- Junior School families may use the main front loop for drop-off and pick-up.
- The front loop entrance is only from the west side, is one-way, and when exiting further east on Mariposa, no left turns are permitted.
- Senior families may use the Glenwood Avenue loop only if they are heading south from Mariposa for both drop-off and pick-up.
The graphic below illustrates the permitted traffic flow around the school following the red arrows.
Thank you for your cooperation in making the neighbourhood safe for students and residents. Merci de votre coopération pour rendre le quartier plus sécuritaire pour les étudiants et les résidents.